Inverness East Church was established in 1798 by the Church of Scotland and is one of the oldest churches in Inverness. In 1843, together with a very large number of Ministers and congregations, Inverness East Church left the Church of Scotland during what was called ‘the Disruption’ and became Inverness East Free Church. In 1900 the vast majority of the Free Church of Scotland joined with the United Presbyterian Church of Scotland to form the United Free Church of Scotland. Inverness East thus became a United Free church. Finally, in 1929, the majority of the UF Churches, including Inverness East Church, returned to the Church of Scotland. Throughout this pilgrimage and membership of these various bodies, Inverness East Church maintained its evangelical and Reformed convictions.